Saturday, November 24, 2012

ParaNorman

ParaNorman is an animated movie that came out to theaters in 2012.  With its upcoming release to video, the time seemed ripe for review. 

I watched this movie on my TV - it seemed clearly designed for the 3D big screen.  The special effects seemed lost on the small screen.  The other thing that stood out was that it was pretty creepy for an animated movie.  Bad idea to set up your target audience (kids) to wet the bed for a week. 

I enjoyed the animation - not all shiny, Disney-like, and happy.  It was gritty and felt old school when it clearly was not.  It did bother me, as it does in most made for 3D movies, that scenes shouted "Hey look me! I am going to jump into your lap."  Without the 3D experience available, these scenes seemed overdone.  Some of the scenes were pretty heavy on the dialogue and I found myself drifting off from the movie. (mostly thinking about what if i should have another slice of pumpkin pie.)

Overall this movie was watchable - I did not turn it off - but I am not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment